Victorian timber industry facing fresh crisis

Friday 26 Nov 2021

The Victorian timber industry is facing a fresh crisis with contractors and timber workers stood down last week because of more recent injunctions placed on the harvesting of coupes by VicForests. The timber workers union held urgent talks with forest contractors and their national association on Friday about the hundreds of workers stood down or at risk of being stood down as Christmas approaches.

The union is calling on the Andrews Government to urgently act to get contractors and their crews back to work, prevent mills running out of timber and, in the interim, pay the wages of workers that are stood down through no fault of their own but due to Government bungling.

The CFMEU Manufacturing Division National Secretary Michael O’Connor said the Victorian Forestry Plan – a 30-year plan for the industry announced just two years ago – is in tatters. The cornerstone of the Government’s plan was that everyone in the industry – contractors and sawmillers – would get their allocation of wood supply until 2024.

“This commitment in the plan has spectacularly failed,” Michael O’Connor said.

More >>.

Source: mirage news, CFMEU Manufacturing



Share |



Copyright 2004-2021 © Innovatek Ltd. All rights reserved.