Latest Australian plantation statistics 2020 update
Friday 26 Jun 2020The Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES) has just released the Australian plantation statistics 2020 update report 2020.
• Australia’s total commercial plantation area in 2018–19 was 1,933,400 hectares. This area is 9,300 hectares (0.5%) less than the area recorded in 2017‒18, and 86,800 hectares (4.3%) less than the area recorded in 2008–09.
• The total area of softwood plantations increased marginally in 2018–19 to 1,039,700 hectares, and accounted for 54% of total commercial plantation area. The total area of hardwood plantations decreased to 884,000 hectares in 2018–19 and accounted for 46% of total commercial plantation area.
• ABARES estimates that a total area of 130,200 hectares (6.7%) of Australia’s commercial plantations was in the fire extent of the 2019–20 bushfires in southern and eastern Australia.
• A total of 2,800 hectares of new plantations were established in 2018–19, comprising 2,750 hectares of softwood plantations and 50 hectares of hardwood plantations.
• A total of 12,100 hectares of Australia’s plantation estate was converted to another land use in 2018–19, comprising 12,000 hectares of hardwood plantations and 100 hectares of softwood plantations.
Copyright 2004-2020 © Innovatek Ltd. All rights reserved.