Campaign to fight 2030 logging ban renewed

Friday 11 Dec 2020

Forestry workers in Victoria are rallying to fight the State Government's proposed ban on native logging.

From 2024, VicForests will start winding back allocations until a complete ban on logging in native forests is imposed in 2030. A union-led campaign against the ban was stalled due to COVID-19. Last week, the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) held planning meetings with forest industry workers in the timber towns of Healesville, Heyfield and Orbost, east of Melbourne.

"We spoke to more than 100 workers at the [state-owned] Heyfield timber mill last night as well as representatives from the local council, contractors, sawmill workers and some community representatives and it's about trying to defend the timber industry in Victoria from the government decisions," CFMEU forestry division national secretary Michael O'Connor said.

Mr O'Connor said the State Government's logging ban was ideological, cruel and irresponsible and would put thousands of regional Victorians out of work.

More >>

Source: ABC Gippsland

Share |



Copyright 2004-2021 © Innovatek Ltd. All rights reserved.