New planting in NZ slow to get going
Friday 22 Mar 2019
The report (see attached) provides the provisional estimates of the sales of tree stocks and the areas of commercial forest planted in 2018. Some of the key findings include;
1. Tree stock sales reported in 2018 totalled 59.9 million seedlings, compared to 51.3 million sold in 2017. The main increase was in radiata pine where sales rose by 8.6 million seedlings (18%).
2. The total area of forest planting in the winter of 2018 is provisionally estimated from the nursery survey data and associated modelling to be 57 000 hectares.
3. The total area of new planting in 2018 is estimated to be in the order of 9 100 hectares. A survey of large-scale forest owners and managers/consultants indicates they established new plantings of about 6 900 hectares.
4. Replanting of harvested areas is provisionally estimated to be 47 900 hectares in 2018.
5. It is estimated that 7.1 million manuka seedlings were sold and about 4 600 hectares were planted, mostly for the honey industry, some for revegetation and some for research on mānuka oil production.
Copyright 2004-2019 © Innovatek Ltd. All rights reserved.