SA Premier rules out any extra timber fundingThe South Australian State Government will not keep "slinging money" to timber company Carter Holt Harvey, says Premier Jay Weatherill and after last week’s timber worker’s protest, he accused the timber company of using its workers to try to "extract enormous amounts of money" from South Australia's taxpayers.
In a report from the Herald Sun Mr Weatherill said the Government had "been in a dialogue for a number of months" with Carter Holt Harvey, ForestrySA's biggest customer, and had offered to co-invest to help the company move up the technology chain to add value to its timber products.
Last month, the Government offered an AU$27 million bailout in lieu of its demand for a lower price for logs. Carter Holt Harvey has blamed high log prices for making its business unviable going forward, warning 1000 jobs were at risk.
Mr Weatherill accused the company of stand- over tactics. "Threats were issued on Friday night that it (South East operations) would close on Monday morning."
Source: Herald Sun
Copyright 2004-2013 © Innovatek Ltd. All rights reserved.