Enhanced biomass utilisation through “Forest Power”
The project had the goal of increasing the value and quality of products and services within the forest fuel supply, feed-stock conversion and combustion chains. The information obtained during the project is focussed on forest owners, heating plant managers, machine entrepreneurs and other forestry professionals.
The project was divided into 11 themes, categorised into six main themes. These are as follows:
• Thinning – Geometrical bioenergy-thinnings in young stands, multi-tree bioenergy-harvesting on difficult sites, and bioenergy from late thinnings.
• Final harvest – Logging residues from final harvests, and stump extraction.
• Fuel quality – Survey of small scale heating plants, and validation of combustion know-how.
• Conversion – Feed stock management, and feed stock characteristics.
• Briquetting – Upgrading forest fuels into briquettes.
• Business models – Self-employed energy wood contracting.
The various bulletins produced are too numerous to list in this newsletter. Anyone involved in biomass supply chains should invest the time to browse through the bulletins at www.forestpower.net
Source: R&D Works Newsletter
Copyright 2004-2013 © Innovatek Ltd. All rights reserved.